I’m obsessed with sweets, especially cupcakes. Especially cupcakes covered in frosting and possibly sprinkles. In my quest to discover the perfect cupcake, I decided to try out a new combination: eclair cupcakes.
An eclair is a French choux pastry filled with a creamy custard (usually vanilla flavored). It seemed like a great idea to mix an eclair with a cupcake, and luckily I found a recipe online that fit exactly what I was trying to do.
I made my cupcakes for a Canada Day BBQ I was going to. I ran out of big cupcake baking cups, so I had to try out the recipe in mini version. I don’t recommend this unless you have some kind of coring tool. I found it was hard to get the right amount of cream into the mini cupcakes using just my kitchen syringe (or whatever it’s called) and a butter knife. I couldn’t get the custard in properly and the mini cupcakes almost exploded on me a few times lol
Recipe adapted from Sugar and Salt. Recipe for custard filling taken from my mama.
Vanilla Bean Custard Filling
*I recommend making this the night before so it has time to cool. Also, the flavors are always much better after having time to rest together.
3 beaten egg yolks
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and blend in cornstarch and sugar
- Gradually add in milk and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and add vanilla beans
- Add hot milk mixture to beaten eggs to temper, then add beaten eggs into milk
- Return to medium heat for 2 mins, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat and add let cool for 2 hrs or overnight
- preheat oven to 350F, line your pan
- sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder & salt
- in separate bowl combine the milk, vanilla and almond
- in a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. add the 2tbs sugar and beat until shiny and stiff peaks form.
- in separate bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- add the egg yolks only, one at a time
- add 1/3 of the flour mixture, beat to combine.
- add 1/2 of the milk mixture, beat to combine
- repeat until all of the milk and flour are added, ending on the flour
- gently fold in the whipped egg whites.
- spoon into prepared pan, cook for 20 minutes until toothpick is clean. Use baking cups to make taking them out easier
- heat cream until you can see bubbles forming at the edge
- take off heat and add the chocolate, let sit for a minute then stir to smooth
- Once you have made a hole, use the syringe to fill the center to the top with custard. Cover it with a piece of leftover cupcake.